Monday, December 9, 2013

Lasagna for a Cold Winter Day

 
Having a pan of lasagna in the freezer
can be a lifesaver, especially at this busy time of year.
 
 
Ingredients
Uncooked lasagna noodles
(I use 1/2 regular and 1/2 whole wheat)
1-1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 tsp. minced garlic
4 cups spaghetti sauce
1 (6-oz) can tomato paste
1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. seasoned salt
 
Cheese Mixture
2 cups cottage cheese
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
4 tsp. parsley
4 cups shredded marble cheese

 
In large frying pan, cook ground beef until thoroughly cooked,
stirring frequently.  Drain.
Add remaining meat sauce ingredients; mix well.
Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to low; and simmer.

 
In medium bowl, combine all cheese mixture ingredients
except the grated cheese.
Spread about 1/2 cup meat sauce over the bottom
of an ungreased 9x13 pan.
Top with 3 noodles,
Add 1/2 of the cottage cheese mixture,
half of the remaining meat sauce,
and half of the marble cheese.

 
Repeat layers.
-Noodles
-Cottage Cheese mixture
-Meat sauce
-Marble cheese
Bake in 350F oven for 35-45 minutes or until bubbly.
Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
 
 
Enjoy! 
 

 ~Finding the amazing in the simple~
Thanks so much for stopping by!

 
I am joining...
Kathe with an E for You're Gonna Love It
Miz Helen's Country Cottage for Full Plate Thursday

19 comments:

  1. This looks so yummy! You don't boil the noodles?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz - No, I don't boil my noodles. I leave my meat sauce a bit saucier and it absorbs into the noodles while cooking in the oven. One less pot, one less step and it has always worked out beautifully for me :)

      Delete
  2. Looks so yummy! Perfect comfort food this time of year.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! I'm planning on making lasagna tomorrow. I always try to make two and a time. One for now and one for the freezer. I use brown rice noodles. I don't think I've substituted cottage cheese for the ricotta - will have to try that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a pan of lasagna in the freezer :) I bet it is good with brown rice noodles. I have never tried lasagna with the ricotta - it wasn't something that was easy to find so I learned to make it with the cottage cheese. One day I will have to try it with the ricotta as I see it sometimes now in the stores :) Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  4. Hi Alana,
    You've made some wonderful comfort food yourself! Who doesn't love a big plate of lasagna? I love the checkered effect of the two kinds of noodles, too. Thanks for sharing a fabulous recipe. xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alana, I am going to add this to my Pinterest board and maybe try it soon. For some reason lasagna terrifies me. I love it and never make it..I think I have a problem. LOL
    Love, Mona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mona, hope you try it soon! Noodles, pasta and cheese - can't go wrong with that :D

      Delete
  6. I have some lasagna sheets in the freezer. I love lasagna! Thanks for a new recipe for me to try.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good. I love lasagna.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lasagna is one of my favorite comfort foods, especially for cold days (and today is one as it's snowing!) I've never frozen my lasagna, but want to try next time, there's nothing better than having an already prepared meal in the freezer on a busy day! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maria! It is a wonderful meal to have tucked away in the freezer :)

      Delete
  9. Mmmm, I can smell your delicious lasagna from here! Perfect for family winter nights, thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Alana,
    Your Lasagna looks perfect for a cold winters day. The lights on your house look awesome! Thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a very Merry Christmas!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to leave a comment. I enjoy reading each one so much and will try to get back to each one of you. Have an amazing day!